|Name:||Dr. Swaib Semiyaga|
|Department:||Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering|
|Research Interests:||– Faecal sludge management technologies and practices (containment/toilets, emptying, transportation, treatment and end-uses of faecal sludge products)|
– Solid waste management
– Water and wastewater treatment
|Courses Taught:||Public Health Engineering 1, Civil Engineering Project 1, Civil Engineering Project 2, Wastewater Treatment and Reuse (Masters)|
|Telephone Number:||+256 782 317023 / +256 701 317023|
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Registered with Engineers Registration Board (ERB) of Uganda. ERB No. 1093
- Corporate Member, Uganda Institute of Professional Engineers (UIPE). Membership No. PE/1146.
- Member of the International Water Association (IWA)
- Member of Global Sanitation Graduate School (GSGS)
|2014 – 2017||Makerere University||Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Civil Engineering (Sanitation)|
|2011 – 2013||Makerere University||Master of Science in Civil Engineering (Environmental Engineering)|
|2005 – 2009||Makerere University||Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering|
|2002 – 2004||Kibuli Sec. School||Advanced level Certificate|
|1999 – 2002||Kibuli Sec. School||Ordinary level Certificate|
KEY TRAININGS AND CONFERENCES
|16th April to 12th October 2019||Training of Trainer course in Sanitation at IHE Delft, the Netherlands. Topics trained in include: Sanitation systems and services; Analysis of sanitation flows; Sanitation and Public health; Sanitation technologies; Sanitation financing; Sanitation governance; Behavior change and advocacy; and Emergency sanitation.|
|19th to 27th July 2018||Training-of-trainers workshop and co-facilitation the training session on “Developing business models in resource recovery and reuse”, held in Colombo, Sri Lanka.|
|5th July 2018||A Course in Occupational Health and Safety Management System Audit and Confined Space Entry.|
|18th December 2017||An introductory training course in occupational health and safety.|
|26th to 27th October 2017||Workshop on enriching engineering education under the Higher education partnerships for Sub-Saharan Africa.|
|01st May to 2nd June 2017||A course in “Introduction to Faecal Sludge Management” (an online offering of SANDEC/EAWAG).|
|19th – 23rd February, 2017||Fourth International Faecal sludge Management Conference (FSM4) held at ICT Grand Hotel, Chennai, India (19– 23 February 2017) – Presenter|
|29th Feb to 25th Mar 2016||A course in “Municipal Solid waste Management in Developing Countries” (an online offering of SANDEC/EAWAG).|
|2nd Dec 2015||A workshop training on “Business Model Development in Resource Recovery & Safe Reuse (RRR)”.|
|1st June to 3rd July 2015||A course in “Introduction to Household Water Treatment and Safe Storage” (an online offering of The Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale De Lausanne).|
|27th to 28th January 2015||Needfinding workshop organized by Resilient Africa Network (RAN) (Makerere University) and change labs (Stanford University).|
|13th Oct to 26th Nov 2014||A course in “Planning & Design of Sanitation Systems and Technologies” (an online offering of The Ecole Polytechnique Fédérale De Lausanne)|
|27th October 2014||Resource Recovery and Safe Reuse Stakeholder Workshop|
|29 – 31 Oct, 2012||Second Conference on Faecal sludge Management (FSM2) held at the International Convention Centre, ICC in Durban, South Africa.|
KEY WORKING EXPERIENCE:
- February 2011 to Date: Lecturer, Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering, Makerere University.
Special duty (2012 to date): Coordinator, Civil Engineering Research Projects at the Department.
- February 2015 to 2018: Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, Ndejje University. Special duty (2017 to 2018): Coordinator of Energy Research and Development Centre.
- May 2010 to September 2013: Acting Assistant Coordinator, Faculty of Engineering, Ndejje University.
- February 2010 to January 2015: Graduate Assistant, Department of Civil Engineering, Ndejje University.
KEY PROJECTS/PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE:
- September 2019 to Date: Consultant on the “Review and update of Minimum standards for Onsite Sanitation Technology Options in Kampala, Uganda”.
- November 2018 to April 2019: Provision of consultancy services for a needs assessment appraisal and production of detailed and modular designs, drawings and BoQs for proposed sanitation and hygiene infrastructure in 21 schools in Kampala and 3 schools plus a health center in Apac.
- February 2019 to June 2019: Health and Safety Manager with Green heat (U) Ltd contractors on a Construction project titled “Inter-Governmental Fiscal Transfer Program – Upgrade of Health Centre IIs to Health Centre IIIs) under Ministry of Health.
- July to November 2018: Water Engineer position. Detailed design study of the small-scale water storage and detention facilities, detailed plan for silt traps drainage, flood control and maximum water recuperation. Designs for 20 wetland systems in Eastern and South-Western Uganda.
- April 17th to April 30th, 2018: Design Engineer position. Design of a motorized mini-Piped Water Supply System in Dohwe Central Village, Namayingo District.
- February 2018 to Date: Design Engineer position. Part of the team involved on water supply design project entitled: Consultancy services for detailed design and construction supervision for Kasambya-Kikandwa and Butenga-Kawoko.
- July 2018 to September 2018: Consultant on Faecal sludge and solid waste study in Imvepi refugee settlement.
- July 2017 to February 2018: Sanitary Engineering Expert: Environmental and Social Impact Assessment (ESIA) for the Rwebisengo-Kanara Water Supply and Sanitation Project. The Rwebisengo-Kanara water supply and sanitation project covered various villages and sub-counties in Ntoroko district.
- October 2017 to June 2018: Consultant on project entitled “Technical Assessment and development of new sanitation and hygiene facilities in sixteen (16) public primary schools in Kampala and development of design and tender documents for the first five (5) pilot schools under Sanitation For Millions project (S4M), Uganda.
- July 2017 to November 2017: Assistant Consutant in the Design Review of the “Feasibility Study and Detailed Engineering Design of Rwebisengo-Kanara Water Supply and Sanitation project in Ntoroko District”.
- May 2017 to July 2017: Assistant Consultant in the Design Review of Faecal sludge treatment plants for Kiboga and Nakasongola Town Councils.
- May 2015 to Sept 2016: Water and Wastewater quality Consultant with Eco-Consultancy Company in Juba (South Sudan).
- Sept 2013 to Jan 2014: Consultant to conduct a cost reduction study of biogas systems for Uganda Domestic Biogas Program (UDBP) represented by Heifer Project International.
- Jan 2013 to Dec 2013: Assistant project coordinator on a project “Re-invent The Toilet Challenge (RTTC) – Phase 2. Project partners include Eawag (the Swiss Federal institute of Aquatic Science and Technology) in Switzerland and EOOS designers in Austria.
- August 2012 to September 2012: Documentation of three Resource Recovery and Re-use (RRR) projects in Uganda spear headed by International Water Management Institute (IWMI) in Sri Lanka.
- Feb 2012 to Feb 2013: A researcher on project entitled “The Potential of Small-Scale Biogas Digesters to Improve Livelihoods and Long Term Sustainability of Ecosystem Services in Sub-Saharan Africa”
- Aug 2011 to 31st Jan 2012: FaME (Faecal Management Enterprise) Project: Providing sanitation solutions through value chain Management of faecal sludge.
- Dec 2010 to Jun 2011: Design and Supervision of water supply system for NFA at Kasagala and North Rwenzori central forest reserves.
- Nov 2009 to Jan 2010: Supervision of water supply system construction for National Forestry Authority (NFA)
- November 2019 to Date: Principal Investigator – Socially accepted evidence-based intervention strategies for reducing solid wastes in pit latrines in Kampala – Uganda under the Makerere University Research and Innovations Fund (RIF). Phase one 2019.
- May 2019 to Date: Principal Investigator (PI): Transfer of the Delft-based programs and courses in Sanitation as part of the project “Transfer of the New MSc Program in Sanitation to South Asia and Sub-Saharan Africa – Global Sanitation Graduate School (GSGS)” funded by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- May 2015 to 2019: Co-Investigator: Innovation of a Rapid Agricultural Produce Indirect Dryer (RAPID) to contribute to reduction in postharvest losses due to drying.
- PEER REVIEWED JOURNAL PAPERS
Gold, M., Harada, H., Therrien, J-D., Nishida, T., Cunningham, M., Semiyaga, S., Fujii, S., Niwagaba, C., Dorea, C., Nguyen, V-A. & Strande, L. (2017) Cross-country analysis of faecal sludge dewatering. Environemntal Technology In Press. Doi: 10.1080/09593330.2017.1300191.
Semiyaga, S., Okure, M. A. E., Niwagaba, C. B., Nyenje, P. M. & Kansiime, F. (2017) Optimisation of centrifuge operating conditions for dewatering physically conditioned faecal sludge from urban slums. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 8, 28-39. Doi: 10.1016/j.eti.2017.03.005.
Semiyaga, S., Okure, M. A. E., Niwagaba, C. B., Nyenje, P. M. & Kansiime, F. (2017) Enhancing faecal sludge dewaterability and end-use by conditioning with sawdust and charcoal dust. Environemntal Technology In Press. Doi: 10.1080/09593330.2017.1300191.
Semiyaga, S., Okure, M. A. E., Niwagaba, C. B., Nyenje, P. M. & Kansiime, F. (2017). Dewaterability of faecal sludge and its implications on faecal sludge managment in urban slums. International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 14(1), 151-164.
Semiyaga, S., Okure, M. A. E., Niwagaba, C. B., Katukiza, A. Y. & Kansiime, F. (2015). Decentralized options for faecal sludge management in urban slum areas of Sub-Saharan Africa: A review of technologies, practices and end-uses. Resources, Conservation and Recycling 104, 109–119.
Diener, S., Semiyaga, S., Niwagaba, C. B., Muspratt, A. M., Gning, J. B., Mbéguéré, M., Ennin, J. E., Zurbrugg, C. & Strande, L. (2014). A value proposition: Resource recovery from faecal sludge—Can it be the driver for improved sanitation? Resources, Conservation and Recycling 88, 32–38.
- PEER REVIEWER
I have acted as a peer reviewer to manuscripts submitted in the following journals;
|S/N||Journal Title||Date of invitation to review|
|17||Sustainable Environment Research (Springer publisher)||September 17, 2019|
|16||Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering (Elsevier Publisher)||August 18, 2019|
|15||Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development (WASH Dev)- IWA||August 5, 2019|
|14||Sustainable Environment Research (Springer publisher)||April 14, 2019|
|13||Gates Open Research||April 10, 2019|
|12||Waste Management (Elsevier Publisher)||February 24, 2019|
|11||Science of the Total Environment (Elsevier Publisher)||January 1, 2019|
|10||Environmental Science and Pollution Research (Springer)||July 1, 2018|
|9||Chemosphere (Elsevier Publisher)||June 24, 2018|
|8||Journal of Integrative Environmental Sciences (Taylor & Francis)||April 27, 2018|
|7||Resources, Conservation and Recycling (Elsevier Publisher)||November 10, 2017|
|6||African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology (AJEST)||October 24, 2017|
|5||Environmental Technology and Innovation (Elsevier Publisher)||October 06, 2016|
|4||Water, Sanitation and Hygiene for Development (WASH Dev) – IWA||August 23, 2016|
|3||African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology (AJEST)||March 25, 2016|
|2||International Journal of Water and Wastewater Treatment (IJWWT)||January 21, 2016|
|1||African Journal of Environmental Science and Technology (AJEST)||November 18, 2015|