Date(s) - 13/03/2020
2:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Imperial Royale Hotel
The Makerere University School of Public Health (MakSPH) in collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH)-Uganda, World Health Organisation (WHO)-Uganda, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-Uganda and the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) has organized a Public Dialogue on the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) scheduled to take place on Friday 13th March, 2020 at the Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala from 2:00 to 5:00pm.
Theme: COUNTRY PREPAREDNESS TO PREVENT, DETECT AND RESPOND TO THE CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) EPIDEMIC
Objective of the Public Lecture of the Public Lecture:
To contribute to COVID-19 Preparedness in Uganda through;
- Providing a platform to educate the general public on the strategies the country is implementing to prevent, quickly detect and expediently respond to the COVID-19 global epidemic in Uganda
- Providing a platform to educate the general public on what they should do and what they should not do to prevent themselves and others from getting infected with the COVID-19 virus
- Generating potential insights and garnering support from academia and the general public and other key stakeholders to strengthen national preparedness to the COVID-19 global epidemic in Uganda
Speakers will include:
- Minister of Health, Uganda
- World Health Organization Representative to Uganda
- Dean, Makerere University School of Public Health
Basic protective measures against the coronavirus:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. In addition, cover your mouth and nose with tissue when coughing and sneezing.
- Maintain a safe distance between yourself and someone who is, sneezing and or coughing (at least 1 meter).
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, seek medical care immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs/handles, car doors, elevator buttons etc. daily with regular household disinfectant or soap.
- All people coming from countries affected by corona virus disease should follow the guidance given by health workers at the airport and other border entry points.
Doreen Tuhebwe, MakSPH, Email: dtuhebwe[at]musph.ac.ug
Elizabeth Ekirapa, MakSPH, Email: ekky[at]musph.ac.ug
Mr. Atek Kagirita, MoH, Tel: +256-782-909153
Dr. Allan Muruta, MoH, Tel: +256-772-460297