Abstract

The cost of labour in the building industry is in the region of 25 – 40 % of the cost of building. Hence the cost of labour is quite high and yet it is the main cause of cost variability in construction. The time used by workers on daily basis on productive work averages about 30% of the total time available for construction work. The remainder of the time, i.e. about 70% is wasted on non-productive activities, delays and rest. For a company in the building industry to remain competitive, it must try to improve the productivity of its labour. This paper reviews the literature on labour productivity in the building industry. It looks at the definitions, measurement, use, factors affecting and improvement of labour productivity in the building industry. It is noted in the paper that there are generally no agreed positions on the above-mentioned aspects regarding labour productivity. The paper further reviews current attempts made to improve the productivity of labour in the building industry.

Key words: Labour Productivity, Building Industry.

Attachments

Attachment Name Attachment Type
Henry Alinaitwe: Labour Productivity DOC PDF PS
Henry Alinaitwe: Labour Productivity