Eng. Dr. Peter Wilberforce Olupot, B.Sc. M.Sc.(Mech. Eng), Lic, PhD (Material Science)
Senior Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Makerere University, P.O. Box 7062, Kampala. Uganda. Tel: +256701658768, Email. email@example.com
|Courses Taught:||Materials Science, Process Improvement and Maintenance Engineering|
|Research interests:||Materials Characterization, Activated carbons and valorization of biomass materials|
|2016-Todate:||Senior Lecturer, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Makerere University|
|2010-2016:||Lecturer, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Makerere University|
|2004-2010:||Assistant Lecturer, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Makerere University|
|2002-2004:||Teaching Assistant, Dept. Mechanical Engineering, Makerere University|
- G. Ogwang, P.W. Olupot, H. Kasedde, E. Menya, H. Storz, Y. Kiros, Experimental Evaluation of Rice Husk Ash for Applications in Geopolymer Mortars, Journal of Bioresources and Bioproducts (2021), https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jobab.2021.02.008.
- A.A. Yusuf, H. Yahyah, A.A. Farooq, K.A. Buyondo, P.W. Olupot, S.S. Nura, T. Sanni, T. Hannington, Z. Ukundimana, A.S. Hassan, M.M. Mundu, S.S. Samede, Y.A. Makeri, M.D. Selvam. Characteristics of ultrafine particle emission from light-vehicle engine at city transport-speed using after-treatment device fueled with n-butanol-hydrogen blend, Case Studies in Chemical and Environmental Engineering (2021). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cscee.2021.100085.
- Menya, E., Olupot, P.W., Storz, H., Lubwama, M., Kiros, Y. Synthesis and evaluation of activated carbon from rice husks for removal of humic acid from water. Biomass Conv. Bioref. (2020). https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-020-01158-2
- K.A. Buyondo, P.W. Olupot, J.B. Kirabira, A. A. Yusuf. Optimization of production parameters for rice husk ash-based geopolymer cement using response surface methodology. Case Studies in Construction Materials (2020). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cscm.2020.e00461.
- V. A. Yiga, M. Lubwama, S. Page, J. Benz, P. W. Olupot and Christian Bonten. Flame retardancy and thermal stability of agricultural residue fiber-reinforced polylactic acid: A Review. Polymer Composites. (2020) 1–30. https://doi.org/10.1002/pc.25835.
- V. A. Yiga, M. Lubwama, and P. W. Olupot. Investigation on the char residues and mean reactivity of compression molded rice and coffee husks bio-char reinforced polypropylene. American Society of Thermal and Fluids Engineers Digital Library (2020) 49-62. http://dx.doi.org/10.1615/TFEC2020.cbf.032093
- Menya, E., Olupot, P.W., Storz, H., Lubwama, M., Kiros, Y. & John, M. J. Effect of alkaline pretreatment on the thermal behavior and chemical properties of rice husk varieties in relation to activated carbon production. Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry 139 (2020). 1681–1691. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-019-08553-6.
- Menya, E., Olupot, P.W., Storz, H. M. Lubwama, Kiros, Y. & John M. J. Optimization of pyrolysis conditions for char production from rice husks and its characterization as a precursor for production of activated carbon. Biomass Conv. Bioref. 10, (2020). 57–72. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13399-019-00399-0
- V. A. Yiga, S. Pagel, M. Lubwama, S. Epple, P. W. Olupot and C. Bonten. Development of fiber reinforced polypropylene with NaOH pretreated rice and coffee husks as fillers: Mechanical and thermal properties. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials 33 (2020). 1269–1291. https://doi.org/10.1177/0892705718823255.
- V. A. Yiga, M. Lubwama, and P. W. Olupot. Effect of Alkaline Surface Modification and Carbonization on Biochemical Properties of Rice and Coffee Husks for Use in Briquettes and Fiber-Reinforced Plastics. Journal of Natural Fibres (2019). 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1080/15440478.2019.1642824
- R. Kayiwa, P. W. Olupot and M. Lubwama. Production and Potential of Activated Carbon from Cassava Peels for Remediation of Active Pharmaceutical Ingredients from Wastewater: A Review. Journal of Materials Science Research and Reviews. 4(4): 1-24, 2019; Article no. JMSRR. 54428.
- Menya, E., Olupot, P.W., Storz, H., Lubwama, M., Kiros, Y. Characterization and alkaline pretreatment of rice husk varieties in Uganda for potential utilization as precursors in the production of activated carbon and other value-added products. Waste Management 81 (2018) 104–116. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2018.09.050.
- Menya, E., Olupot, P.W., Storz, H., Lubwama, M., Kiros, Y. Production and performance of activated carbon from rice husks for removal of natural organic matter from water: A review. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 129 (2018) 271-296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2017.11.008
- P. W. Olupot, A. Candia, E. Menya & R. Walozi. Characterization of rice husk varieties in Uganda for biofuels and their techno-economic feasibility in gasification. Chemical Engineering Research and Design 107 (2016), 63–72. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cherd.2015.11.010
- P.W. Olupot, Jonsson, S, Byaruhanga, J. K. (2015) “Development of electrical porcelain insulators from ceramic minerals in Uganda” in D. Singh and J. Salem (Eds.) Processing and Properties of Non-Carbides: Mechanical Properties and Performance of Engineering Ceramics and Composites IX. PP 115-125. John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
- Olupot W.P, Jonsson S, Byaruhanga J.K, “Effects of the Sintering Process on Properties of Triaxial Electrical Porcelain from Ugandan Ceramic Minerals” World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology 77 (2013) 393-398
- Olupot, P.W., Jonsson, S. & Byaruhanga, J.K. Study of Glazes and Their Effects on Properties of Triaxial Electrical Porcelains from Ugandan Minerals. J. of Materi Eng and Perform 19, 1133–1142 (2010). https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-010-9597-1
- Olupot W.P, Jonsson S, Byaruhanga J.K. “Development and Characterisation of Triaxial Electrical Porcelains from Ugandan Ceramic Minerals” Ceramics International, 36 (2010) 1455-1461. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2010.02.006
- Olupot W.P, Jonsson S., Byaruhanga J.K. “Effects of mixing proportions and firing temperature on properties of electric porcelains from Ugandan Minerals” Industrial Ceramics 28 (2008) 1-10.
- Olupot P.W., Jonsson, S, Byaruhanga, J. K. “Characterization of Feldspar and Quartz Raw Materials in Uganda for Manufacture of Electrical Porcelains” J. Aust. Ceram. Society 42 (2006)29-35.