M.A.S.S is a student association in the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology Makerere University which was started up about twenty three years ago. It was started up By a group of Students doing Bachelor of Science in Land Surveying and any student who belonged to the Department of surveying currently known as Department of Geomatics and Land Management, then was free to become a member by registering and subscribing to the Association.
A constitution that guides its activities and operation was drafted then such as election of executive members of the Association by their fellow students of the Department of Surveying. The executive was to have a President, Vice President, Speaker, General Secretary, Finance Secretary, Projects Coordinator, Publicity Secretary, Assistant General Secretary, Assistant Projects Coordinator, an Assistant Publicity Secretary and apparently a Legal Advisor. The Constitution allows the executive committee to choose a patron as long as he owns a doctorate degree in that department. However the Association became fully recognized and registered by the Guild on 1st June 1999.
As time went by, the Department of Construction Economics and Management was created as a new department in the Faculty of technology currently known as College of Engineering Design Art and Technology which merged with the Department of Surveying that led to the expansion of the sample size the Association. This department had BSc Quantity surveying and Land Economics/Valuation surveyors as courses and students of these courses joined the association since all these Professions fall under the same registration Board as Land Surveying (Surveyors Registration Board).
Note that M.A.S.S is affiliated to the Institution of Surveyors of Uganda (ISU), a recognized Surveyors’ body in the country together with Surveyors’ Registration Board (SRB), which is responsible for maintaining and upholding all surveyors’ code of conduct it should be noted that as a surveyor to operate legally without disturbance in Uganda one has to be registered with this Institution. It is very crucial and vital for a student to be a member of MASS so as to easily register with ISU.
M.A.S.S is a body that brings together students offering Bsc. Quantity Surveying (QS), Bsc. Land Economics (LE) and Bsc. Land Surveying and Geomatics (LSG) under the Department of Construction Economics and Management and Department of Geomantic and Land Management respectively and all departments are under the School of Built Environment CEDAT Makerere University. The association has various objectives and Carries out various activities as mentioned below;
- Recognizing all QS, LSG and LE students as fully registered MASS members and Institution of Surveyors of Uganda affiliates.
- Establish links worldwide regarding exposure of MASS students to the surveying world starting with Africa.
- Advocate for student-staff / professional policies and to enhance inter-disciplinary relationships.
- To seek Affiliation to Professional bodies and hence get student memberships to these bodies for the MASS members.
- To help get Industrial training placements for surveying students.
- And so many others.
Dr. Anthony Gidudu, the Head of Geomatics and Land Management department at the College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology is the patron MASS.
MASS holds various activities annually most of which are jointly held with its sister associations in the College and they are; Makerere Engineering Society (MES), Makerere Architecture Students Association(MASA), Makerere Association of Construction Managers (MAC) and Makerere University Fine Art Students Association.
Some of the activities include:
- Fresher’s Welcome Party
- Fresher’s Ball and Dinner
- Annual CEDAT Open Day and Exhibition
- Study tours to respective professional firms and companies
- The Beach Bash
- Annual Surveyors Dinner and handover Ceremony.
- The annual International Academic trip
- The annual CEDAT Sports gala
- The annual CEDAT conference
- Surveyors conference
- Arrangements for students Industrial Training, etc.
Reach Us On;
OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENT, MASS.
Outside New CEDAT Building Parking Lot,