This course will introduce students to the concepts in environmental health and shall cover a discussion of environmental health problems in Uganda, the region and worldwide. The course shall explore the use of tools of toxicology, epidemiology and social science and case studies of pollution in different media (air, water and soil etc) shall be assessed, chemicals and pesticides, epidemics and food borne illness, the impact of climate change on environment shall also be discussed. It will include environmental diseases, emerging and re-emerging zoonoses and communicable wildlife diseases. The course shall analyze urbanization, industrialization and related environmental hazards, environmental pollution, solid and hazardous waste management, public health policy and agencies involved in environmental health. The course will be suitable for students who wish to gain a basic understanding of in environmental health, with cases of more detailed investigation of specific concepts.
- Introduce the major environmental health issues facing Uganda and the world
- Provide the status of our global environmental health
- Create an understanding of the basic concepts of environmental health
- Introduce the basic terms and concepts as they relate to global environmental health:
- Discuss the common environmental hazards that pose risks to human health and safety.
- Discuss and predict global human population numbers and the impact on our global environmental health
- Describe and influence regulatory policies, guidelines and authorities that control environmental health issues
- Identify individual and human behaviours that foster or hinder the well-being of our global environmental health
|CIV 8116 Environmental Health and Waste Management