Continues to undertake Covid-19 related research
TheAfrica Center of Excellence in Materials Product Development and Nanotechnology (MAPRONANO ACE) has attracted grant funding to the tune of Shs5,348,380,719 towards research and post doctoral studies for students.
- MAPRONANO ACE received UGX 2,812,803,300 funding under Presidential scientific initiative for Evaluation of nanoscale materials as candidate adjuvants and delivery systems for SARS Cov-2 (COVID-19) sub-unit vaccine. These funds will also support the purchase of the first of its kind state-of the art Field Emission Scanning Electron Microscope (FE-SEM) the first of its kind in Sub-Saharan Africa.
- MAPRONANO ACE received UGX 1,031,939,998 funding under Presidential scientific initiative for development of saliva test kit for COVID-19. This will solve the issue of lack of cheap testing services in Uganda and hence facilitating massive testing hence effective Covid-19 surveillance and patient management.
- Nanobody based point of care diagnostic kit for cervical cancer – UGX, 194,770,000
- Volkswagen foundation Post doctoral fellowship for African researchers in the Engineering sciences UGX 795,999,500
- Antibacterial and antiviral nanocoated cloth mask to limit the spread of Covid-19 – UGX, 75,000,000
- Green synthesis of graphene from coffee husks and other agro-wastes for energy storage applications – UGX, 156,445,850
- Development and validation of lateral flow based multiplex test device to detect and differentiate SARS CoV-2 from other human coronaviruses – UGX, 157,130,071
- Determination and characterisation of viral load and antibody profiles in samples from multiple sites of Covid-19 patients in Uganda – UGX, 60,000,000. This is in partnership with Makerere University College of Health Sciences and Uganda Virus Research Institute.
- Perfecting the design and testing the feasibility of Disinfecting Gloves (D-Gloves) – UGX, 60,000,000
- Multimorbidity and lifestyle prevention in low and middle income countries – UGX, 4,292,000