|Occupation:||Associate Professor/Architect/Housing Policy Specialist|
|Institution:||Department of Architecture and Physical Planning, Makerere University|
|Postal Address:||P.O. Box 30145 Kampala, Uganda.|
Membership in Professional Societies
- Registered Member, Architects Registration Board, Reg.050
- Member, Uganda Society of Architects
- Chairman, Board of Research and Development, Uganda Society of Architects
- 2005 – To date Head, Department of Architecture, Makerere University
- 2003 – 2005 Council Member, Architects Registration Board, Uganda
- 2000 – 2002 Council Member, Uganda Society of Architects
- 1999 – 2002 Member, Human Settlements Steering Committee (Uganda)
- 2000 – 2001 Honorary Secretary, Uganda Society of Architects.
I am a registered architect, with 22 years’ experience both in the professional field and academic world. I hold a PhD in housing policy, Master’s degree in Architecture and a Master of Philosophy degree in housing finance issues. I have seven years experience of management as a Head of department and twenty two years in management of projects. I have been lead architect and project coordinator on several projects.
1991 to Date Department Of Architecture and Physical Planning, Makerere University
2005 to date Head, Department of Architecture and Physical Planning
- Responsible for the day to day administration of the department, leading a team of 20 academic and 4 support staff
- Responsible for assigning duties and supervision of staff activities
- Mobilisation of research grants
- Coordination, monitoring and evaluation of academic programmes in the department
- Implementation of the University’s strategic plan at the departmental level
- Appraising staff performance
- Liaising staff with the college administration
- Developing departmental plans for academic activities
- Preparation of the departmental budget, control of expenditure and financial accountability
- Contributing to the development of the College Strategic plan.
- Formulating strategies for implementation of the College strategic plan within the departmental framework
- Preparation of academic and funding proposals
- Preparation of proposals for projects and build relationships with development partners and other stakeholders
- Ensuring quality training of students
- Development and review of academic programmes
1994 to May 2012: Lecturer
Subject Taught: Design Portfolio, Urban Planning, Housing and Development, Building Technology, Environmental Building Science and Construction Management.
Supervised fifth year students in handling their final year dissertations and design projects.
1991-1993 Assistant Lecturer (Part-time)
Subject Taught: Design Portfolio, Building Technology, Environmental Building Science.
Supervised and guided students in handling design works similar to the ones above.
1992 to date Technology Consults Ltd
Senior Consultant/Senior Architect/Planner
I have worked as a Project Architect/Project Manager on various projects. I have also been responsible for handling a number of construction works both in the design and supervision stages. I have been responsible for other architectural services offered by the firm to the clients, such as preparation of Tender Documents, carrying out feasibility studies, giving professional advice, evaluation of tenders etc.
Other duties include:
- Executing contractual obligations on the assignment
- Coordinating logistical aspects of the Consultancy
- Participating in the formulation of research instruments
- Coordinating the Team in Report Write-ups
1992 to 1995 Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development
1994 to 1998 Senior Architect
- I assisted the Chief Architect in carrying out the day to day running of the Architectural Division, supervised design works of the divisions’ staff and construction works of contractors, prepared tender documents and evaluation of tenders from bidders and other administrative matters of the building department.
- As senior architect, I participated in making proposals for self-help projects in the housing sector for rural development in Rukararwe and Oli in Arua (1994-1996).
- I handled design and supervised construction works in the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development.
- I prepared progress reports on various projects of works.
2009 Postgraduate Diploma in Management (Uganda Management Institute)
2008 University of Newcastle upon Tyne, (U.K). PhD
1997 University of Newcastle upon Tyne (U.K.), M.Phil.
1993 University of Newcastle upon Tyne (U.K.) Certificate in Social, Economic and Environmental Factors in Housing
1990 Kiev Institute of Building and Civil Engineering, Ukraine Msc. Architecture
- Course in Academic organisation and leadership training (2007)
- Attended a course on ISO 9000 series for Total Quality Management (2000)
Other Activities undertaken
I have vetted papers for publication for conferences and journals.
|2010-2011||I chaired the committee responsible for the review of the Urban and Regional Planning programme at Makerere University|
|2010-2011||I chaired the committee responsible for the review of the Masters of Architecture programme at Makerere University.|
|2011||I reviewed the proposed Bachelor of Architecture (B.Arch.) degree at Kyambogo University|
|2009–2010||I was the team leader in the preparation of the Cities Development Strategies and Slum Upgrading Strategies for the five municipalities of Jinja, Arua, Mbale, Mbarara and Kabale under the World Bank/Cities Alliancies and the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development.|
|2008||I was a member of the committee that drafted the Minimum requirements for courses of in Architecture in Uganda for the National Council for Higher Education (Masaka, 6th -11th April, 2008).|
|2006-2008||I was a member of the committee that was responsible for preparation of a new Masters course on Urban Transformation and sustainable Development, run by the Department of Architecture, Makerere University; ARDHI University of Tanzania; Jomo Kenyatta University and Nairobi University, Kenya, Oslo School of Architecture and Design – AHO, Norway, under the NOMA/ SEARCH support.|
|2004 – 2007||I was a member of the committee that prepared the Drafts of the National Building Regulations and The Building Control Bill.|
|2007||I participated in the Stakeholders’ Workshop for the review and re-designing the Faculty of Technology curricula held at Hotel Ridar, Mukono, (27th – 29th April, 2007).|
|2001-2003||I participated in the development of the curriculum of the Post Graduate Diploma in Construction Management.|
|2000–2003||I participated in the development of the curriculum of the Master in Architecture programme|
|1999-2000||With two other lecturers, we prepared materials for the courses in Low-cost Housing and Earth Construction, for the Dept. of Architecture, MUK.|
|1995-1996||I was part of the team that reviewed the Draft National Report and Plan of Action to Habitat II (1996).|
- I received a certificate of merit in appreciation of dedication to service as an outstanding lecturer, 2006
- Attended training and received a certificate in PhD Supervision Training, 2005.
- I am a member of the College Academic Programmes & Library Committee
- I have served as a member of the University’s Housing Committee
- Were, A. G., Mukiibi, S., Nawangwe, B., Mukwaya, P. I., Nakangu, B., Nambatya, J., & Kisitu, D. (2021). A Spontaneous Location Theory and How Street Vendors Acquire Spaces (Case Study: Kampala City–Uganda). International Journal of Architecture and Urban Development. https://ijaud.srbiau.ac.ir/article_18479.html
- Byagaba, E., & Mukiibi, S. (2021). The Relationship between Public Transport and the Location of Shanty Settlements in Kampala City. East African Journal of Business and Economics, 3(1), 130-146. https://doi.org/10.37284/eajbe.3.1.365
- Mukiibi, S., & Machyo, J. N. (2021). Housing Transformation in Kampala, Uganda: Causes and Opportunities. East African Journal of Environment and Natural Resources, 3(1), 1-7. https://journals.eanso.org/index.php/eajenr/article/view/266
- Mukiibi S., and Khayangayanga, D. (2014) Uganda’s experience in implementing enabling shelter. International Journal of Technoscience and Development, Vol. 1, Issue 1, 2014. http://technoscience.se/ijtd/vol-1-issue-1-2014/
- Kiggundu T. A. And Mukiibi S. (2012) Land use and transport planning in the greater Kampala, Uganda. Indonesian Journal of Geography, Vol. 44, no. 1.
- Mukiibi, S. (2011) The effect of urbanisation on the housing conditions of the urban poor in Kampala, Uganda, pp.37-42. Paper presented at The Second International Conference on Advances in Engineering and Technology (AET 2011), held at Imperial Resort Beach Hotel Entebbe, Uganda on January 30 – February 1, 2011. ISBN: 978-9970-214-00-7
- Mukiibi S., (2011) An evaluation of Factors that have influenced housing policy development in Uganda, pp. 43 -49. Paper presented at The Second International Conference on Advances in Engineering and Technology (AET 2011), held at Imperial Resort Beach Hotel Entebbe, Uganda on January 30 – February 1, 2011. ISBN: 978-9970-214-00-7
- Mukiiibi, S. (2010) An analysis of housing conditions in Kampala’s low-income settlements, pp. 70-89. Journal of Environmental Planning and Architecture, Vol.1, No. 1
- Musinguzi, M., Bagampadde, U., Alinaitwe, H., Mukiibi, S., and others (2007) How to get a quality PhD from Faculty of Technology, Makerere University – A Handbook for PhD Students, Makerere University ISBN 9970-812-05-8. Mixiprint Olofstrom, Sweden printers.
- Mukiibi S., Khayangayanga, D. (2007) Implementing the enabling shelter strategy in Uganda. Proceedings of Conference on Collaborative Research for Technological Development, Kampala-Speke Resort Hotel Munyonyo, Uganda 17th – 21st December 2007.
- Mukiibi, S., Nakiyingi, J. (2005) Utilisation of the indigenous architecture in low-cost housing for slum improvement: the case study of Nakulabye and Naguru. A paper presented at the AICAD Headquarters under the Theme: Industrialisation processes/policy and implementation and community development on 13th September, 2005.
- Rukararwe Partnership Workshop for Rural Development (RPWRD), Department of Architecture Makerere University, Kyamuhunga Technical Institute, Uganda Technical College Bushenyi and CRATerre-EAG (2005) Earth Architecture in Uganda: Pilot project in Bushenyi 2002-2004. CRATerre-EAG; ISBN: 2-906901-36-9
Practical/Professional Experience (Selected Jobs)
|2008-2010||As Job Architect, I was involved in the design of a hospital for the National Resistance Army, Uganda.|
|2005-2008||As Job Architect, I participated in the development of designs and supervision for the construction of the Faculty of Technology extension (Currently College of Engineering, Design, Art and Technology).|
|2002-2005||As Job Architect, I was responsible for design and supervision of rehabilitation works of Bukalasa Agricultural College.|
|2004||As Job Architect, I was responsible for the development of architectural design of Kyema Vocational Institute, Masindi.|
|2003||As Job Architect, I was responsible for designing of Warehouses for Dr. J. Byaruhanga in Hoima.|
|2001-2002||As Job Architect, I was responsible for preparation of designs of commercial block for Aquatec Enterprises (U) Ltd.|
|2001-2002||As Job Architect, I was responsible for designing of Friends-Group secondary school buildings, Katende.|
|2000-2001||As Job Architect, I participated in the supervision of rehabilitation works at the Royal Norwegian Embassy, Kampala.|
|1999-2000||Was Project Architect for Store for the National Medical Stores at Entebbe.|
|1998-2001||As Job Architect, I was responsible for the re-designing and supervision of rehabilitation works of Lincoln and MISR flats at Makerere University.|
|1998-2001||I was Job Architect for the rehabilitation of Soroti Hospital. I was responsible for architectural designs and quality control. The project was funded by the World Bank.|
|1998||I participated in the design and supervision of construction of Economic Policy Research Centre building at Makerere University.|
|1996||As Job Architect, I participated in the design of the Faculty of Forestry Building, Makerere University.|
|1994-1996||I participated in the rehabilitation of Physics Department, Makerere University. The project was funded by ADB.|
|1993-1995||I participated in the supervision of upgrading construction works of Namuwongo Low-cost Housing Project as Job Architect, under the then Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development.|
|1993-1995||I participated in the preparation and supervision of designs and construction of CBR building for Faculty of Social Sciences at Makerere University.|
|1993-1995||Job Architect, I was responsible for preparation of designs and supervision of construction works for Olweny Swamp Irrigation Scheme in Agwata, Lira, under the then the Ministry of Lands, Housing and Urban Development. The project was funded by the African Development Bank|
|1994||Job Architect, I handled the supervision of the construction of the Core Store Building at Entebbe for the Ministry of Natural Resources. The project was funded by IDB.|
Other Relevant competences
- AutoCAD drafting software
- ArchiCAD drafting software
- SPSS statistical analysis software
- Microsoft Office Word
- Microsoft Excel