Semester Two of the third year student will involve a study of the painting techniques and methods, and the relationship of materials to pictorial expression, content analysis of style and concepts. Individual creative expression focusing on growth and mastery in the use of non- conventional materials with emphasis on use of mixed techniques and materials.
This course outline will in particular take care of oil colour; conduct, properties, techniques of expression vis-a-vis execution and application on particular surfaces. Other materials in the line of (mixed media) may be used with oil paint, observed and analysed.
The pre-requisite will be an earlier exposure of the student to IFA 2106 which involves the basic materials of acrylic and oil colour.
The objectives of the course will break up into the following course outline and units to be spread into duration for 15 weeks respectively.
- Studio experimentation in the use of individual selected themes; oil colour, acrylic and mixed media; based on e.g. social, cultural, political and philosophical, concerns, with emphasis to the design process or sketches; conceptualization of painterly ideas and message conveyance; techniques and individual expression.
- surfaces/surface manipulation
– use of grounds
– under coating different surfaces
– media’s of over painting
– techniques with materials and surfaces
- Generation and development of themes and topics
- Pictorial expression; content analysis; styles and concepts
- Planning for large, medium and small size compositions on formats
– planning for murals, frescoes, coloured reliefs and special approaches to sketching for the above
- Focused practical use of painting; VEHICLES with oil paint/acrylic vis-a-vis turpentine, paraffin, spirits, linseed oil, varnishes, binders and water.
|Attachment Name||Attachment Type|
|Painting III IFA 3205||DOC||PS|